Environment Canada has issued a snowfall warning for several communities in central and southern Alberta and say anywhere between 5 and 25 cm of snow is expected by the end of the weekend.
Snowfall warnings are in effect for :
- Airdrie – Cochrane – Olds – Sundre
- Banff National Park
- Cypress Hills Provincial Park – Foremost
- Drayton Valley – Devon – Rimbey – Pigeon Lake
- Drumheller – Three Hills
- Medicine Hat – Bow Island – Suffield
- Nordegg – Forestry Trunk Road Highway 734
- Red Deer – Ponoka – Innisfail – Stettler
- Rocky Mountain House – Caroline
The weather agency says heavy snow is expected to move into the region overnight and bring 10 – 15 cm of accumulation.
A special weather statement is in effect for:
- Brooks – Strathmore – Vulcan
- City of Calgary
- Cardston – Fort Macleod – Magrath
- Crowsnest Pass – Pincher Creek – Waterton Lakes Nat. Park
- Hanna – Coronation – Oyen
- Kananaskis – Canmore
- Lethbridge – Taber – Milk River
- Okotoks – High River – Claresholm
Environment Canada says a system from the Pacific will bring in Arctic air and significant snow to southern Alberta.
The temperatures are expected to drop quickly over the weekend and the risk of freezing rain is also forecast on Saturday night and Sunday morning from Red Deer to Lethbridge.