Friday is the start of Alberta Culture Days.
It’s a three day provincial festival created by the Alberta Culture and Tourism department.
The festival starts off with block parties in Calgary and Edmonton.
In Calgary there’s a free block party downtown starting at 5 p.m. Friday at Stephen Avenue Mall and Olympic Plaza.
Throughout the province there are events scheduled all weekend.
The City of Calgary has a long list of events including:
- Live DJs and stage courtesy of BassBus
- Pedal power by the Open Streets Calgary biker bar will power the lights on BassBus and mix blended drinks with Cafe Rosso
- Live music with Alberta bands The Wet Secrets (Edmonton) and Viet Cong (Calgary)
- “To Market To Market” – A mix of storytelling, poetry and performance with the Alberta League of Encouraging Storytelling
- Circus workshop with the Green Fools Theatre Society
- Operatic performance courtesy of Cowtown Opera
- Tintype photographic sessions with Rainika Photo Grafik
- Potter’s wheel and painting easel with the North Mount Pleasant Arts Centre
- Instrument Petting Zoo with the Jubilee Auditorium
- Projection mapping light show from Beama Visual Arts
- VJ demo station with EMMedia
- Tap dance showcase courtesy of Tasha Lawson Studio’s Tritone Productions
- “What is your art?” AFA video booth presented by the Alberta Foundation for the Arts
- Printmaking workshop with Alberta Printmakers
- Mixed media interactive mural presented by Burns Visual Arts
- Street piano courtesy of The City of Calgary Culture Division
Alberta Culture Days started in 2008 as a one-day event recognizing Alberta’s arts and cultural community.